Monday, April 04, 2011

The First Of Many

I realize that it is 12:30 a.m on what is now Monday, April 4th... but I'm going to write as if it were still Sunday, April 3rd.  Today (Sunday) marks the 3rd anniversary of my first date with Jace.  

It was the Friday before General Conference in the year 2008, when I got the text message... yes, I said TEXT MESSAGE.  Very romantic :)  It went something like this:

"Hey, so I have some extra tickets to hear our prophet of the Lord... Sunday morning. Whaddya say?" 

How could I possibly say No to that?  

I was dressed and ready to go by 7:30 a.m on that Sunday morning... anxiously awaiting his arrival to pick me up. 45 minutes had passed and at 8:15, I thought for sure I had been stood up.  I was confused, sad and angry.  I decided I would call to see what was going on.  After many attempts he finally answered.  Apparently, his alarm had not gone off and he was running ridiculously late.  He had not even left his house yet!  Why he hadn't called to inform me of this?  I have no idea.  As upset as I was, he was easy to forgive :) I then suggested that we meet in Orem, hoping to save some time, rather than having him drive down from Lehi to Springville to pick me up.  With it being the Sunday Morning session, we had to be in our seats for Music & The Spoken Word by 9:00 a.m.  Believe it or not, we made it. (However, that should not come as a shock to most of you who know the way Jace drives!) We even picked up his friend Zach and his date on the way.

All in all, it was a wonderful first date.  We were inseparable from that day forward.
 
Our first picture together... Waiting in the long line of cars in the parking garage after the session.

The following April conference in 2009, we were able to go to the Sunday morning session again, and even last year, 2010, we attended the same session once more.  This year, we hoped to keep the tradition going, but were unable to get tickets.  So my husband, the sweetheart that he is, surprised me with flowers this morning in honor of our first date 3 years ago.  We watched conference in the warmth of our home while in our P.J's eating bagels :)

5 comments:

Garrett said...

I had never known how you two got together. Thanks for sharing! Glad you two are together as I think you two make a wonderful couple. Jason needed the kick in the pants!

Unknown said...

how cute is that?!

Scott Amanda said...

aww cute! You even have an adorable first picture :)

Parkside View said...

My first date with Jason was a BYU football game. Some people consider that a "religious" event, too. You guys are cool to try and get tickets each time. I had no idea you were lucky enough to go to conference three years in a row. Maybe it was a good thing you didn't get them this year (you know with the snow and how Jace drives, and all)!

Leonani said...

How cute!! :) SO happy you still went despite the set-back. Also, we NEED to get together! I haven't seen you two in forever! Plus, I'm moving to St. George in two months!